Oysters, chilli and asparagus are well-known aphrodisiacs but there also certain kinds of foods that can actually ruin your libido, according to recent research. These foods can cause lethargy, lower testosterone levels and even increase abnormal sperm production.
For instance, too much red meat can cause an imbalance in a man’s natural hormone levels, causing more difficulty for him to get aroused. Harley Street specialist Dr Cecilia Tregear says that, “The biggest sexual organ is the brain, which produces the chemicals and hormones that trigger feelings of love and attraction, arousal and orgasm,” according to the Daily Mail.
After consulting nutritionist Frida Harju from health and fitness app Lifesum, the Daily Mail came up with a list of foods that you should avoid if you want a good sex life.
1) Alcohol: Excessive drinking cause erectile dysfunction or difficulties in achieving an orgasm.
2) Red meat: Some red meats contain added hormone, which can imbalance a man’s natural hormone levels if consumed in large quantities. So, one must not have red meat on a daily basis.
3) Soya beans: Having too much soya lowers your levels of testosterone in your body and decreases sperm count, which negatively affects your libido.
4) Mint: The menthol in the mint also tends to decrease testosterone levels, which again will result in a low sex drive.
5) Liquorice: It contains phytoestrogens, which affect the levels of testosterone in the body, weakening your sexual desire.
6) Quinine: Although quinine is commonly used to flavour beverages such as tonic water and gin, it is also shown to have a negative effect sexual desire in men.
7) Chocolate: Apart from the two ingredients – anandamide and phenylethylamine – that cause the body to release happy hormones known as endorphins; cocoa also contains methylxantines that can make you lethargic and lower your libido.
8) Fried food: Most fried foods contain trans-fats that are known to decerase the libido in both men and women by increasing abnormal sperm production (lower sperm count and slower sperm movement) in men and interfering with gestation in women.
9) Microwaved popcorn: The chemicals used in the linings of microwaved popcorn bags (perfluoroalkyl) have been linked to lowering men’s sex drive....