Professors to stay in hostels to prevent ragging

JNTU-H sought TD MP Malla Reddy’s report over ragging incident

Hyderabad: Professors will be posted at hostels of engineering colleges at nights to prevent ragging.

In light of the suicide committed by First Year student Sainath, allegedly due to ragging, the state government is drafting new anti-ragging rules.

JNTU Hyderabad meanwhile has sought reports from all affiliated colleges about the measures they are taking to prevent ragging in their campuses.

JNTU-H has also sought a report from the TD MP Ch Malla Reddy-owned CMR Engineering College over the incident.

Telangana State Council of Higher Education chairman, Prof. T. Papi Reddy, said incidences of ragging were more in engineering and management colleges, especially in hostels. “The incidences are more in colleges with hostels even though there are wardens. Two to three professors should stay back in the night at hostels and monitor the premises,” he said.

Female professors will be deputed to girls’ hostels and their male counterparts will be deputed to boys’ hostels.

“We appeal to students not to take extreme steps like suicide and immediately report if they are subjected to ragging. It is a very serious offence and the government will not spare anyone if they commit the offence. Strict action will be taken against the college too. Parents should also educate their children not to indulge in ragging,” Prof. Papi Reddy said.