Students turn traffic volunteers in Hyderabad

Traffic cops aim to attract more volunteers

Hyderabad: About 1,200 citizens (mostly senior school students) are helping the traffic police regulate peak hour traffic, especially in school zones.

After having trained 1,200 traffic volunteers in the last two-and-a-half months, the cops are now trying to rope in colleges and premier institutes.

Apart from inculcating an understanding of traffic rules among school students, the idea of “traffic volunteers” is to make up for the fewer number of traffic cops available to man key points during peak hours.

There are roughly 2,000 school zones in the city, nearly half of which require handling of intersection points. Having received a good response from the students, the traffic police is now aiming to attract more “traffic volunteers” at intersection points and traffic signals.

“We are nominating citizens as ‘traffic volunteers’ after providing them thorough training in traffic rules and they are working mostly with schools during peak hours. Typically these are senior school students who come in early to school, manage traffic during peak hours and then attend classes too. So far, 1,200 volunteers have been trained by us at the Traffic Training Institute and there are 200 to 300 volunteers at peak hours, lending a helping hand on city roads,” said Additional CP (Traffic), Jitender.