3-member panel submits report on FTII situation to government

FTII has been witnessing long students' protest after Gajendra Chauhan's appointment

New Delhi: A three-member committee constituted by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry to examine the "ground situation" at Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) submitted its report on Tuesday. Sources said that the report was submitted by Registrar of Newspapers for India (RNI) DG S M Khan, who headed the committee, to officials in the I&B Ministry.

The Information and Broadcasting Ministry had last month formed the committee to assess the ground situation at Pune FTII, a day after students had gheraoed director Prashant Pathrabe in his office over "assessment" process.

Pathrabe had then lodged a complain with the police after which some students were even arrested. FTII has been witnessing an over two month long students' protest after the name of actor Gajendra Chauhan was announced as the institute chairman.

Members of the team which apart from Khan comprised a Director and Under secretary level officers from the I&B Ministry had then visited the institute and spoken to the students, faculty, other staff members, alumni and other sections of people.

The team, it is learnt, has also closely examined the issue related to the ongoing "assessment" of incomplete diploma film projects of the 2008 batch. Senior officials confirmed that the committee had submitted its report but were tight-lipped about the details. The officials, however, said that the ministry would examine the report after which the future course of action would be decided.

( Source : PTI )