Another Pakistani terrorist caught after encounter in North Kashmir

Arrested terrorist is identified as 22-year-old Sajjad Ahmed from Muzaffargarh

Srinagar: A Pakistani terrorist was captured alive on Thursday while his four associates were killed in an overnight encounter with army in Kashmir, weeks after Naved from the Pakistan was nabbed in Udhampur.

The arrested terrorist was identified as 22-year-old Sajjad Ahmed from Muzaffargarh in south west Pakistan, army said.

Sajjad was nabbed after an overnight encounter near the Line of Control (LoC) in Rafiabad area of Baramulla district. One terrorist was killed in the encounter on Wednesday while three were killed on Thursday. One soldier was also injured on Wednesday.

The security forces had on Wednesday launched a massive operation in north Kashmir, ranging from Uri sector near the Line of Control to Panzalla in Rafiabad area, following information about presence of a group of militants in the area.

"Three militants have been killed while one has been arrested alive during the operation in Rafiabad," an army official said.

The Army said that militants are believed to have sneaked in Jammu and Kashmir after crossing the LoC at different places either on Tuesday or Wednesday itself.

DIG police North Kashmir Range, Gareeb Das confirmed that the captured militant is a Pakistani from Muzaffargarh area of Balochistan province. "He gave out his name as Sajjad Ahmed alias Abu Obaidullah and is about 22-years old," said Das and confirmed that three of his accomplices were killed in an encounter with the security forces in Rafiabad area of Baramulla district, whereas fourth militant was killed at Qazi Nag Dhar of Uri.

A defence spokesperson said, "The efficacy of a robust counter infiltration grid has manifested in successful elimination of four terrorists and capture of one terrorist over a four-day joint operation by the Army and J&K police."

He said the operation was launched following intelligence inputs about presence of militants in woods of Rafiabad. "A search operation was launched by the Army on August 24 which forced the terrorists to move towards the higher reaches of the ridge. An effective cordon was established by the Army including special forces which were inducted by helicopters to prevent the escape of terrorists."

The spokesman also said that first contact with the militants was established in the morning of August 26 resulting in killing of one militant. "In a slow and systematic operation owing to the difficult terrain and thick foliage, the forces re-established contact with the rest of the terrorists who had taken shelter inside a natural cave. After a deliberate operation by the Army and J&K police, which lasted till today afternoon, three more terrorists were eliminated while one terrorist was captured alive. Also huge cache of war like weapons which include 4 AK- 47 rifles and two UBGLs has been recovered from the encounter site," the spokesperson said.

A police official said the arrested terrorist is being shifted to Srinagar for questioning.

The capture of Pakistani terrorist comes about three weeks after Naved, a Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist from Pakistan, was nabbed by some civilians after he and his associate attacked a BSF convoy in Chenani area of Udhampur district on August 5. His associate was killed in the encounter with BSF personnel.

Also read:

Army uses 'chilly grenades', teargas shells to flush out terrorists from a cave
Terrorist caught alive in BSF convoy attack in Jammu today is from Pakistan, say police
Terrorist Naved was trained in PoK
Terrorist caught alive: 7 things we know about Mohd Naved

( Source : Deccan Chronicle with gency inputs )
Next Story