Proposal to allow police raid colleges

Fallout from Onam accident continues as home ministry seeks go-ahead for police to check hostels

Thiruvananthapuram: The home department has put forward a proposal to allow the police to raid college campuses in case of complaints. The proposal came during a meeting convened here by Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala to discuss campus regulations on Tuesday.

Education Minister P.K. Abdu Rabb and top officials of the higher education and home departments took part in the meeting.

The meeting, held in the back drop of the death of a girl student of the College of Engineering, Trivandrum, during Onam celebrations recently, discussed measures to impose restrictions on the activities undertaken by the college unions.

The home department wanted powers to the police to inspect college union offices and hostels in case of complaints. As per the present norms, the police can enter the campus only with the prior sanction of the principals.

The home minister told reporters that discussions will be held with the students’ organisations on September 2 to evolve fresh guidelines.

A committee has been formed to study campus discipline. The members will be home additional chief secretary Nalini Netto, higher education additional chief secretary K.M. Abraham, collegiate education director M. Nandakumar, technical education director K. Vijayakumar, DGP T.P. Senkumar, ADGP Intelligence A. Hemachandran and representatives of vice-chancellors of all affiliating universities and self-financing college managements’ association.