Cyberabad police warn students at University of Hyderabad

DECCAN CHRONICLE
Published Aug 26, 2015, 6:44 am IST
Updated Mar 28, 2019, 1:58 am IST
The flyer also mentions three IPC provisions
University of Hyderabad(Photo: DC/File)
 University of Hyderabad(Photo: DC/File)

Hyderabad: The Cyberabad police has told University of Hyderabad students clearly what not to post on social media if they want to stay out of trouble.

Flyers of the police were distributed in the university among students and copies have been put up on notice boards at the university’s hostels, departments and other buildings.

The flyer warns, “You can get expelled, suspended or punished for a social media hate post.”

The flyer also suggests not to post anything that might “hurt the feelings of others” and not to “comment anything against the interests of the nation.”

The flyer also says, “Freedom of speech is not freedom to bully. It does not mean you can harass, abuse and dehumanise others.”

The flyer also mentions three IPC provisions. They are Section 153(A) regarding promoting enmity between different groups, Section 295(A) on deliberate acts intended to outrage the religious feelings of any group and Section 501 of publishing matter known to be defamatory.

It also mentions about The Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act. One of the students from the university belonging to a student organisation said, “We post comments on Facebook criticising certain aspects of religion which does make some people angry. Will we be booked for that too? There is no clarity as to what exactly constitutes as an offence. With earlier cases in the country on misuse of IT Act we are not sure where this might lead.”

...
Location: Telangana