Bengaluru: Student sets herself ablaze

20-year-old was upset over poor exam scores and severe academic pressure

Bengaluru: A meritorious student, who was finding it difficult to cope with her engineering course academics, committed suicide by setting herself ablaze in Chikkasandra under Soladevanahalli police station limits on Thursday.

Police said the deceased has been identified as Sanjana (20), a third year engineering student of Saptagiri Engineering College in Hesaraghatta. The victim was depressed over her poor academic performance in the fifth semester. Sanjana had got admission to the college on merit, after she passed her SSLC and PU with flying colours, added the police. Her father is a BBMP official while her mother is a housewife and the family resides in Chikkasandra.

According to the police, she told her mother that she was upset over her poor performance and unable to cope with the academic load. She also feared that in case she failed, she would have to study with her juniors, the police said.

Sanjana had left the house on Thursday and her body was found near the Hesarughatta lake on Friday evening in a charred state, the police said. Earlier the victim’s parents had lodged a missing complaint at the Soladevanahalli police station.

It is not clear how she procured fuel to set herself ablaze. The victim’s body was shifted to a government hospital for post-mortem.

The victim had also reportedly sent text messages to her mother and one of her friends that she was taking the extreme step, and was ‘sorry’, a senior police officer told this newspaper. Soladevanahalli police have registered a case of unnatural death and further investigations are underway.