IIT-Madras introduces undergraduate research for students

Introduces course for students to do research with the help of faculty
Chennai: In a bid to increase research output and help undergraduate (B.Tech) students realise their research dream project, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras has come up with a new course “undergraduate research” for students to do research with the help of faculty.
The IIT-M administration had constituted a task force last year to revise undergraduate curriculum on the lines of the IIT-M’s Strategic Plan 2020. The task force had submitted its report recently with several recommendations, including launch of a new course program “undergraduate research.”
Under this programme a faculty member would mentor students in their research when they come up with such a proposal. Differing from regular research being done by students at the institute, in this program a student can earn academic credit for the research he has worked on.
Speaking to Deccan Chronicle about the changes in curriculum and the new program, IIT-Madras director Prof. Bhaskar Ramamurthi said that as the institute wanted to give students more flexibility in curriculum it had asked the taskforce to come up with changes in curriculum based on the Strategic Plan 2020.
“With the new undergraduate research program a student will get a flavour of research before he gets into postgraduate study. Some students want to become entrepreneurs and some want to pursue higher education so we want our curriculum to provide flexibility to all students,” he said.
Adding that the curriculum had been structured in such a way that students get to learn more diversified courses as electives, the director said this would give students more flexibility in selecting their favourite course as part of the electives.