AMET University former student moves NHRC against suicide

Kanathur police, which initially played down the suicide, has altered the case to section 306 of IPC
Chennai: A former student of AMET University has petitioned the National Human Rights Commission to look into the harassment meted out to a student, which led to his suicide on Friday.
Meanwhile, Kanathur police, which initially played down the suicide, has altered the case to section 306 of IPC (abetment to suicide) and have initiated investigations into the incident.
“We have altered the case and an assistant commissioner rank officer will be investigating those involved,” a senior police officer said.
J.T. Singh (21), a native of Punjab and a marine engineering graduate from the university hung to death using his turban at his hostel cabin off campus on Kanathur, East Coast road, leaving behind a suicide note alleging harassment that led him to take the extreme step.
The former student, Victor (name changed), said the principal has been abusing his power even when he was the Dean of marine engineering department.
Victor, who graduated two years ago, said his treatment to students borders on the line of inhumanity at times.
“We understand the training curriculum warrants a disciplinary approach. But, most of the times, the way things were handled were mere abuse of power,” he told DC.
While the boy’s family has not lodged any complaint with the local police, other students took matters into their own hands after thousands of them gathered inside the college premises demanding action against the principal on Saturday night.
Vice Chancellor Col. Dr G.Thiruvasagam along with other officials had to rush to the college to pacify the irate students and promised them that the principal will be axed the first thing on Monday.
According to students, the victim had already completed his B.E course and was asked to repeat his semester as a punishment for his alleged ‘misbehaviour’ during his senior batch’s Passing out Parade. The principal also allegedly threatened the student that his placement with the shipping company would also be terminated after which he took the extreme step. On Sunday, the VC held another meeting with student representatives and senior management, students said.