Kerala Motor Vehicle Department launches road safety lessons for Plus 2 students

The MVD is also collecting responses from students on the topic through an online survey

Kochi: Catch-them-young seems to be the mantra of Kerala Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) which has launched a drive to provide road safety lessons to Plus One and Plus two students.

“We target them as they would be taking licenses in a year or two and it will be good if we give them road safety tips now. Besides taking two-hour classes on road safety education in their respective schools, we are distributing 10,000 booklets on rules and regulations,” said Ernakulam region motor vehicle inspector Vinodkumar N.

The team covered nearly 20 schools in a month in the district itself even as more such classes are scheduled in schools like SRV Model and Rajagiri in the coming week.

Classes mainly deal with basic rules to be followed while riding vehicles and meaning of signboards besides penalties for violators, the officer said.

The MVD is also collecting responses from students on the topic through an online survey.

”We have set up a Google forum and sent the questionnaires directly to students’ email address. This way we can collect maximum feedback in minimum time. The aim is to improve the quality of road safety education imparted to the students. This way we expect them to be responsible riders when they obtain a license in a year or two,” he said.