Thiruvananthapuram: GPS tags to track students

Corporation to launch IKM-developed system in 79 district schools

Thiruvananthapuram: As a response to issues of adolescents plaguing government schools, the Thiruvananthapuram Corporation is all set to launch the School Management System in 79 higher secondary and high schools in the state capital. The school management system developed by IKM will help track students who bunk classes.

The software would help better the communication between the school and parents and an SMS would be sent to the parents if students do not turn up for class. GPS enabled tags would be distributed to all students to help effective tracking. The project, which is worth Rs 60 lakh, will take off in August first week.

Education standing committee chairperson K S Sheela told DC that the main objective of the initiative was to ensure the safety of teenagers. “All government aided schools would benefit from the initiative. We had discussions with school principals and PTA members to fine tune the initiative. Bunking classes is fast becoming the trend among teenagers, both boys and girls. Currently, there is no mechanism to track the activities of the students. With the introduction of this system, parents will receive messages from the school about the attendance, marks list and all matters concerning the student,” said Sheela.

She said that the civic body would introduce the facility in Upper Primary Schools in the second phase. “We have sanctioned around Rs 10 lakh to the IKM. Now the processes are going on to collect authentic details of the parents and students. We need the correct mobile numbers of the parents as the students may not provide the right details,” said Sheela.

The authorities are also planning to introduce GPS enabled identity cards to the students as part of the second phase.