Schools to showcase heritage

The annual Madras Week is a truly unique celebration of the city
Chennai: Led entirely by its residents, the annual Madras Week is a truly unique celebration of the city that is home to close to five million inhabitants. But for the upcoming edition, scheduled from August 16 to 23, its coordinators are envisaging schools to become major activity centres for organising events to highlight the city's heritage.
Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, Vincent D'Souza, one of the coordinators, recalled, “We are slowly witnessing more schools willing to organise events during the Madras Week. The number of schools (organising activities like quizzes, exhibitions, photo competitions etc.) that was only five a few years back is now more than 20. This development is indeed welcome.”
Reiterating the importance of schools participating in the celebrations, he said, “This is in a bid to boost awareness among the younger minds and instil a sense of belonging in them. Though participation is voluntary, we would be delighted to guide interested schools.”
Also, assisting the schools in organising the events is Intach, a NGO working to preserve the country's heritage.
The organisation, which supports heritage clubs established in 40 city schools, has been holding workshops for teachers for the past one year.
“These heritage clubs are at the forefront by organizing events throughout the academic year. But, for the month of August, the theme is about Madras. By holding events like neighborhood walk, a lot of interest is generated among students about the local heritage,” said Padma Swaminathan of Young Intach Chennai.
A school that runs a heritage club is Sri Sankara Vidyashramam school in Thiruvanmiyur. More than 100 students of Class 8 and 9 are part of the PARAMPARA Heritage Club, recently feted as one of the best heritage clubs in the country by Intach.
Principal Kalpalatha Mohan said, “To celebrate the city we live in is truly unique and wonderful. While competitions and exhibitions are usually conducted by us, we also send our students to other events so that they learn more about Madras's rich
heritage.”
Interested schools can get in touch with Intach for assistance or if they want to screen a specially made docu-movie about Madras' heritage for their students. They can do so by writing toyoungintachchennai@gmail.com