Brilliant hacks

The Hackers’ Summit at IiIT-H saw ideas that could change our city
The recent hackathon, as part of the Hackers’ Summit at IIIT-H, saw over 100 participants pack themselves in one room, working to come up with prototypes of products relevant to the topic — a smart city. In just 24 hours, the students, for many of whom this was their first hackathon, came up with ideas that will make cities smarter. Here are the best.
App for potholes and garbage:
How many times have you noticed and cribbed about garbage piled in the middle of a road or about a pothole that has not been filled? Krishna C.H., Prashant, Shawn and Surya, students of CMR Engineering College, have come up with an idea that will help change the situation. Their mobile and web-based app called Uniact allows users to take photographs of the problem and upload them.
“This automatically detects the location of the problem and we also have a map that acts as a ‘heat map’, detecting the number of problems in each area. This can also be turned into a share event, where people can decide to get together to solve the problem in an area,” says Krishna.
Stopping train tragedies:
Often, we read news reports about train accidents because of unmanned crossings or the driver not being alert. To control such casualties, Siddhardha Hejeedu, D. Manoj Kumar and Gajam Sagar, students of Anurag Group of Institutions, came up with Intelligent Train Engine.
“The first part of the idea is an automatic gate control. The gates will shut when a train is arriving and after it leaves, it checks for the arrival of a train on the other track. If there is none, the gates open. The second part is an alert system. It checks the driver’s condition. If he is sleeping, it sends a buzzer alert. And if after the buzzer the driver doesn’t pay attention, it brings the train to a halt,” says Siddhardha.
Directions by sms:
So often people are lost in the middle of the road as their GPS stops working. Final-year students of GRIET, Venkatesh Kadali, Srujan Kumar, Harish Anumanchimneni and Nikhil Kumar, came up with a plan to make finding routes easier — Directions by SMS.
Talking about the project Venkatesh says, “If someone is commuting from A to B, they can just send a text, and using Google API (Application Programming Interface) and then simplifying the text, we will send directions.” Just 40 per cent of people in the world use smartphones and this app will come in handy for others.