Guntur: A fire mishap on Sunday reduced 101 huts to ashes in Jangala Colony of Nagaram village in Nagaram mandal of Guntur district. According to reports, the fire started from the house of Kondapalli Lakshmaiah and soon the flames spread and engulfed the other houses in the colony.
The residents ran out from their houses to save themselves and soon all the huts in the colony were reduced to ashes. Fire tenders from Repalle, Ponnur, Tenali and Bapatla rushed to the spot and controlled the fire.
The fire department officials suspect a short circuit as the cause of the mishap but locals claim that leaking of gas from a domestic gas refill was the reason behind the fire. Meanwhile, the locals accused the fire department of acting late which resulted in a bigger casualty. Residents of the colony said clothes, gold/silver ornaments, cash, furniture and other valuables were reduces to cinders.
Tenali revenue divisional officer G. Narasimha Rao, Guntur zilla parishad chairperson Sk. Janimun, former minister, Mopidevi Venkataramana and others visited the colony. Mr Narasimha Rao announced Rs 5,000 and 20 kg of rice for every family of the colony and further assured to take the issue to the notice of the government.
Nearly 400 people were forced to remain on the road due to the fire mishap. The locals claimed that nearly Rs 5 crore loss was incurred to the colony’s residents due to the mishap and appealed the government to provide aid for the reconstruction of houses....
Location: Andhra Pradesh