Vijayawada: Five people of a family died after being electrocuted and two others received severe injuries at Urmila Nagar of Bhavanipuram in Vijayawada on Tuesday morning.
The deceased were identified as Ganta Subba Reddy, Ganta Srinivasa Reddy, Ganta Tirupatamma, Ganta Nagarjuna and Bommala Tirupati Reddy.
Ganta Venkateswara Reddy and Kandula Venkata Lakshmi who received severe burn injuries were rushed to hospital for treatment, according to police.
The family had recently started construction of a small portion with asbestos roof on the second floor of their house.
Unmindful of the fact that there were high tension wires, a few feet away from the second floor's compound wall, Subba Reddy and Srinivas Reddy were attempting to shift an iron railing from the ground floor to second floor, when the accident took place.
The railing accidentally touched one of the wires, emitting a strong shock.
The injured are receiving treatment in a hospital and are said to be critical.
CPM and YSRC leaders Ch Babu Rao and P Gowtham Reddy who visited the spot blamed the electricity department officials for negligence.