IIIT Kancheepuram to mentor Andhra Pradesh counterpart

Andhra Pradesh has earmarked about 124 acres of land in Kurnool district

Chennai: The Indian Institute of Information Technology (Design & Manufacturing), Kancheepuram will mentor Indian Institute of Information Technology Kurnool (IIIT-K). The IIIT-K will function inside IIIT-D&M campus in Chennai from July until the new campus at Kurnool gets ready.

Andhra Pradesh has earmarked about 124 acres of land in Kurnool district for the setting up of the new IIIT, said Prof R. Gnanamoorthy, director, IIIT (D&M), Kancheepuam, and mentor director of IIIT Kurnool.The site selection committee with representatives from MHRD, AP state government, director of IIITDM Kancheepuram, and CPWD engineers inspected the site.

It has been decided that IIITDM Kancheepuram, based in Chennai, will mentor IIIT Kurnool, and extend all its infrastructure and teaching resources for the students during initial years. IIIT-Kurnool students would get accommodation in the student hostels in IIIT (D&M).To start with, the new institute would offer B.Tech Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) and Electronics & Communication Engineering (ECE) with an initial intake of 25 students in each of these streams.

Admissions to IIIT Kurnool will be along the lines of other centrally funded IIITs and shall be based on performance in Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main through central counselling by the Joint Seat Allocation Board.

“We will have a few faculty from IIIT (D&M) teaching in the Kurnool one, we are also looking at a couple of recently retired faculty too,” Prof Gnanamoorthy said adding that IIIT (D&M), had been functioning since 2007 with specializes in IT and IT enabled design & manufacturing focused engineering pedagogy and research.