No separate hostels for Mx students

Questions are being raised on lack of concrete policies on transgender students in universities
Hyderabad: The recent issuance of India’s first gender neutral certificate by the NALSAR University of Law in Hyderabad has opened a Pandora’s Box. Questions are being raised on lack of concrete policies on transgender students in universities, especially about their accommodation in hostels. This in spite of the fact that almost all major universities in Hyderabad have officially recognised the third gender. A senior professor of NALSAR questioned the university’s decision on allowing transgender students to stay in a girl’s hostel. Critics raise the question that when males and females have separate hostels then why should not there be a separate hostel for the third gender. There is also opposition to having separate hostel for transgenders.
Prof Karthik Bittu, a transgender faculty at University of Hyderabad said, “Separate hostels will not solve the purpose as it will result in alienation of transgenders. Already many transgenders do not openly accept their gender identity while applying to universities even though there is a provision for it. Rather, gender neutral hostels and toilets must be developed.”
Amita Dhanda, senior professor at NALSAR said, “Gender fluidity among transgenders should be respected.” However, the issue remains as sexual orientation is different from gender identity.
For example, unlike general perception that a transwoman, who is a man by birth but identifies himself as a woman, will be attracted only towards males is false. A trans-woman can also have sexual orientation towards women. Hence, if such a trans-woman is given permission to stay among girls it might put safety of girls at stake.
Many university administrators in Hyderabad are unaware of these complexities and have not tried to formulate policies making universities less transgender friendly.
None of the universities in Hyderabad including, Osmania University, University of Hyderabad, EFLU and NALSAR, have any concrete policies on transgender students.