Nellore Municipal Corporation school outshines corporate

Special classes will be held from 8 am to 8 pm for Class X students every Sunday
Nellore: Government and municipal schools are usually the last option for parents to admit their children. However, a corporation school here, KNR Municipal Corporation High School located near Baktavatsala Nagar railway gate, is an exception.
Unlike in any other government schools, the students are screened before the admission in the school to assess the strengths and weaknesses. The demand from parents to admit their kids in the school was such that the school was forced to close the admissions within a week after reopening.
“For the first time in the history of government schools we had to close admissions,” said N. Sridhar, district vice-president of Nellore Private Unaided Schools Managements Association.
Locals attribute the unprecedented patronage for the school to the teachers and headmaster M. Vijaya Prakash Rao for competing with corporate schools to coach their students especially Class X students.
The pass percentage in Class X is a testimony to the commitment of the faculty. The pass percentage was 98 per cent in English medium this year as against 83 per cent last year and around 75 to 80 per cent during last six years.
Incidentally there is a shortage of 18 teachers pertaining to physical science, Telugu, English, and Hindi subjects. The Class X strength this year is 270 so far and another 50 are knocking the doors of the school for admission.
The situation is more or less same for Class VI to X. A parent Lukson, working in RTC, was seen requesting the HM to admit his son Nirmal Vishal in Class X. The boy was a student of a popular corporate school but the parents want to admit him in KNR because of discipline and special attention being given to every student.
Special classes will be held from 8 am to 8 pm for Class X students every Sunday. The alumni of the school attribute their success to the dedication of the school teachers.
They themselves want to admit their kin in the school though they are in a position to admit them in popular corporate schools.
One such former student is Vijay M.B.A., who is working as a marketing executive in Bengaluru. He brought his brother's daughter to admit in Class X. Mr Vijaya Prakash Rao expressed his inability to continue admissions pointing to the lack of space to accommodate the newcomers.
Moreover the teaching staff is no match to the whopping 1,240 student strength, he added. He said that they are in dire need for teachers besides 10 more classrooms, non-teaching staff and a toilet for boys. “It is very difficult to handle students or coach them properly if the teachers strength is insufficient,” he said.