35 Kovai students qualify for IIT-JEE

IIT declares cut off marks before final list
COIMBATORE: At least 35 students from Coimbatore are among the 451 aspirants who have qualified for the admission counselling in the IIT-JEE (Advanced) this year. The topper from Coimbatore, S. Aravinth has got the 629th rank in the country with a score of 294 out of 504. This is the first time that IIT has declared the cut off marks before the final list of candidates.
Last year, around 25 students were selected for IIT-JEE. This year, as many as 35 students have qualified for counselling in the JEE Advanced in Coimbatore district, said Sourav Mondal, centre head of FIITJEE, Coimbatore.
Around 100 students wrote the exam in 2014 and this year around 120 students appeared.
The city topper, S. Aravinth, a student of Suguna PIP School wants to go to either IIT Mumbai or Chennai. “I am yet to decide which course to choose next but most probably I will go for IIT Bombay or IIT Madras.”
Sharing a few tips for the next batch of IIT aspirants, Aravinth says, “Work
hard, solve lot of question papers and do not believe in preparations only in the last two months. You have to prepare from the initial days. Competition is increasing every year. After solving many question papers from different years, I have realised that the standard of question papers has got tougher and will get tougher and tougher in the coming years. The earlier you finish, the better you score.”
The cut-off marks have gone down by 24 per cent from 35 per cent this year. The reason is not because the question papers were tough and tricky; it’s the pattern of question paper, says Mr Mondal. An online counseling will start from June 25 where students have to fill the form, their preferences, choices, institutes and courses they would like
to prefer and it closes on June 30. The seat allocation will be declared on July 1.