Bengaluru: Ex-estate caretaker held, freed

Published Jun 18, 2015, 9:27 am IST
Updated Mar 28, 2019, 8:21 pm IST
Uthappa’s wife Saraswathi and daughter Saranya (name changed) were in the city looking for him

Bengaluru: Family members of a worker, who took care of a legislator’s estate on the outskirts of the city, approached City Police Commissioner M.N. Reddi’s office on Wednesday and sought the help of police to trace Uthappa Sabu (58), who was allegedly picked up by the police on Saturday. The police released Uthappa from the Ashok Nagar police station on station bail on Wednesday and showed in their records that he was arrested the same day.

In the complaint submitted to the top cop’s office, it was alleged that the legislator’s personal assistant, Ramesh, had foisted false charges against Uthappa and got him arrested. The family said that Uthappa was picked up from Magge in Alur taluk of Hassan district on Saturday by Mr Ramesh and two police officers from the Ashok Nagar police station, following complaints that the PA had received threat calls from Uthappa.


Uthappa’s wife Saraswathi and daughter Saranya (name changed) were in the city looking for him, as he was missing since Saturday. Saranya told Deccan Chronicle, “My father worked in the estate for over 15 years without any problems. But trouble started in 2011 when my father objected to Ramesh bringing women to the estate. My father told Ramesh that he should not indulge in such activities.”

“Later, my father wanted to quit as he was paid  Rs 3,000 per month, and informed Ramesh. But the PA refused, and filed a false complaint that my father had stolen Rs 18 lakh from the legislator. My father had taken loans for his treatment but it would not be more than Rs 18,000. Now, Ramesh is eyeing our property in Madikeri which is about 1.25 acres and wants us to sell it to settle the dues,” she said.


Ramesh alleged that Uthappa had sold teakwood door frames and other material stocked at the estate to local wood scrap dealers and misappropriated lakhs of rupees. He called me and told me that he was quitting and was leaving the keys on the estate compound. I informed ‘sir’ and then filed a complaint at Kumbalgodu police station. Now, he is  saying that I took women to the estate! Last week, I received threat calls from Uthappa and filed a complaint,” he said.

Francis Babu Noronha, who has employed Uthappa at his estate in Magge, accompanied Uthappa’s wife and daughter to the city. “The police arrested Uthappa on June 13. But why did they not produce him in the court within  24 hours? He was taken to his former employer’s house,” he said. “The MLA  tried to sort out the feud between his two employees by suggesting that I take Uthappa’s land, and get him to pay back Rs 19 lakh,” he said.  


“Uthappa was arrested based on the complaint filed by the MLA’s PA. Uthappa has since obtained bail, and has been relased,” said Sandeep Patil, DCP, Central Division. Uthappa was released from the Ashok Nagar police station on station bail on Wednesday.

Arrest on Wednesday: Cop records

Mr Noronha said the police have shown Uthappa as being arrested on Wednesday from his friend’s house. “But he spent four full days in the lock-up. The CCTV at the police station cannot lie,” he said. Uthappa’s advocate is now thinking of approaching the Human Rights Commission.


Location: Karnataka