Hyderabad student, shot dead in US, spoke to dad hours before shooting

The couple is now waiting for their son’s body to arrive from Florida

Hyderabad: For the middle aged couple Srihari and Rupa Bhavani the happiness of their son going to the US for higher studies has ended. Within one and a half weeks after their son left home an unexpected tragedy turned their joy into sorrow. The couple is now waiting for their son’s body to arrive from Florida.

The 23-year-old Saikiran went to the US for post graduation with dreams in his heart. However, it got shattered when a gang shot him to snatch his iPhone. After joining Atlantis University in Miami he had told his parents that he had got a safe accommodation a few km away from campus. “One of our friends had lived in the area and he helped Saikiran get the accommodation. Another 10 students from Hyderabad were also living with him in the same building,” said his childhood friend N. Mahesh.

Read: Hyderabad student shot dead in US for iPhone

Saikiran left for US on May 2 and his classes started soon. “He called a few times. He was very happy about the university,” said Mahesh. Hours before he was shot near his apartment in Miami Saikiran had called his parents.

“He used to call frequently to talk to his parents. A few hours before the incident also he called. His father received the call at around 12.15 on Saturday night,” said his uncle Sravan Kumar.

Saikiran started dreaming of going to the US for higher studies when he joined BTech at the Geethanjali College of Engineering and Techno-logy in Keesara, He was determined and tried hard to reach his goal.

Read: Saikiran’s roommate heard gunshots

“He used to tell me about his plans for higher studies in the US while doing B.Tech,” said his friend N. Mahesh. Saikiran was dreaming of an MNC job. “He had said that he would try for a H1B visa and for a job in the US itself,” said another friend.

His family is not yet sure when the body will arrive in Hyderabad. They have sought government help to bring the body. His friends in Florida are also trying to dispatch the body as soon as possible.