Bribe for a PhD: Academicians demand transparency in varsities

The unethical agreement has led to a deterioration in the quality of higher education

Hubballi: The case of a Karnataka University education department professor demanding bribe for issuing a PhD completion certificate is just the tip of the iceberg. The unethical agreement between professors and students has led to a deterioration in the quality of higher education.

Academicians claim that research scholars pursuing PhD have to fulfill all needs of the guides to avoid undue harassment in obtaining a doctorate. The students also prefer an indirect route to obtain PhD by submitting the thesis without much effort. This trend has evoked much criticism and also raised concern among educationists who are demanding thorough reforms in universities to bring transparency.

A doctoral committee meeting will be convened in the university once in six months to review the progress of candidates pursuing PhD. Both guides and research scholars are allowed to file their grievances and problems with regard to technical aspects. But, no such complaints are usually filed in the meeting.

“Several professor guides seek money, gold or booze parties from research scholars to complete their Ph.D. Such cases hardly come to the fore as students fulfill the demands to obtain PhD early without much research. This development has harmed the reputation of Karnataka University which has got ‘University of Potential Excellence’ tag from UGC”, said a syndicate member.

The mushrooming of private post-graduation centres for M.Ed courses has also spoilt the quality of higher education in Karnataka University. The students make beeline to get admission in these PG centres to prevent undue harassment from professor guides.

Professor gets bail

Lakayukta court on Saturday gave anticipatory bail to Prof. Noor Jahan Ganiyar who has allegedly demanded a bribe of Rs 4 lakh from two students from North India for issuing PhD completion certificate. Prof. Ganiyar had applied for anticipatory bail after she was suspended in the syndicate meeting held on June 3.

Lokayukta Justice Y Bhaskar Rao had lodged a suo motu case against her and had referred the case to additional director general of police of the Lokayukta to take up the investigation under Prevention of Corruption Act.