Indian Institute of Technology-Hyderabad shifting to new campus

10 hostel blocks, dining hall, Academic Block-A ready for use

Hyderabad: The Indian Institute of Technology-Hyderabad will be shifting to its brand new campus in August, IIT-H director U.B. Desai told DC here on Monday.

The institution will be housed in a huge six floor building which will be known as Academic Block-A. It will house classes for the 1,900 students from 14 departments who study in the IIT-H’s campus at the Ordnance Factory in Yeddumailaram in Medak district. The new campus is located at Kandi village, about 20 km from the institute’s present location.

The new campus has 10 hostel blocks, a large dining hall and Academic Block-A. These are ready and two buildings which are expected to get completed by 2016 might be used to house the civil and mechanical engineering departments.

Academic Block-A will have around 40 classrooms, laboratories, an auditorium and incubation centers. The building will also provide sufficient space for the five specialised centers, the Center for Digital Fabrication (3D printing), 5G communication, sustainable development, Nano electronics and X Materials.

However, some workshops will continue at the Yeddumailaram campus until facilities are ready at the new campus.

Sources said the five blocks in the new campus belong to phase one. There are four more phases for the construction of 15 more buildings and once done all departments will have their own building. However, this is expected to take at least 10 years.

A multistoried residential complex is also under construction in the new campus for the staff and is expected to be occupied by year-end.

As of now there are 145 faculty members at the institute. Once facilities improve the intake of students is also expected to increase. However, this year after the IIT entrance results are out the intake will be the same as last year which was 200 under graduation students and 200 PG and PhD scholars.

A PhD scholar said, “We are very excited about shifting to the brand new campus. However we also feel a little sad about leaving the lush Ordnance Factory campus. I am sure once the construction is over the new campus will also be made green.”