Off-campus recruitments, a better deal

Hiring had been at a low for the last few years but has picked up this year

Hyderabad: Following the recent campus recruitment season, students are now gearing up for off-campus recruitments, expecting better companies and higher pay packages. Recruiters are touting 2015 to be the best year for off-campus recruitments citing extensive demand for fresh engineering graduates.

Adding to the big companies like National Instruments and Citibank are smaller startups in the mobile and Internet space who generally don't recruit from campuses but offer better packages than conventional IT services companies.

Hiring had been at a low for the last few years but has picked up this year. Most engineering colleges make do with the conventional IT services companies that offer generic packages to all the students they pick. However, since students don’t have to join till July, many are using this time to target the big guns.

“The salary package from the conventional companies hasn't changed much over the last four or five years. They are still only offering around the Rs 3.3 lakh mark. But in off-campus recruitments, irrespective of your college, you can get a job if you are good,” said Mr P. Mayuukh, an engineering graduate. Salary packages are reaching as high as Rs 10 lakh per annum in off-campus recruitments that are within the reach of even students from smaller engineering colleges.

Bigger companies like Google and Facebook recruit mostly from premier engineering colleges like the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT).

“There is huge demand for quality freshers and 2015 is the best time you could have graduated. We know many are unhappy with the offers. Most of them will have a joining date in July. Our focus is to get as many high-end companies before July end,” eLitmus, a hiring firm said.