Bengaluru: Students in the eye of the storm, parents stage dharna

Department officials were not responding to their complaint against the excess fee demand by their school

Bengaluru: Four students along with their parents held a dharna in front of the office of the Primary and Secondary Education minister Mr. Kimmane Rathnakar in Vidhana Soudha on Tuesday alleging that the department officials were not responding to their complaint against the excess fee demand by their school.

Four students of Chaithanya E Techno school, Yelahanka, in the city; Ms Prakruthi Y ( III Std), Pratheeksha Y (UKG), Bhuvanesh N (V) and Adithya N (III) held a dharna in front of the minister's office on Tuesday along with their parents Mr. Nagesh and Mr. Yogesh HM. As the minister was not in the city, they were not able to meet him.

The office staff asked them to come on Wednesday when the minister would be available. Speaking to this newspaper, Mr. Yogesh HM informed that last year Chaithanya E Techno School started its Yelahanka branch.

“As it was the first year, there were no students. Our children were studying in other local schools. But Chaithanya school teachers lured us saying that they would charge a very minimal fee for our children. Based on their assurance we admitted our children. But this year the school enrollment has increased and the school management is demanding the regular fee from our children too. But we are not in a position to pay the regular fee,” he said. “Initially we approached the Yelhanka BEO and later the DDPI. But they didn't solve our problem. Even though classes had started, our children could not attend school due to this fee issue. So we decided to meet the minister and seek his help to find a solution to the problem,” he said.

“We will come again to the Vidhana Soudha on Wednesday to meet the minister. Local officials are not helping our cause,” he alleged. Meanwhile both Kimmane as well as the school authorities were not available for their reaction.