Spiritual foundations set up centres at IISc, Bengaluru

RSS members have been seen by several others conducting closed events on the campus

The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, is not the only place to be targeted by right wing activists. The Indian Institute of Science here in Bengaluru, widely hailed as one of the top institutes of its kind in the world, has always political undercurrents of its own. However, the right wing influence has undergone a significant shift of late, with political groups from outside involving themselves in activities within the campus.

Spiritual foundations have reportedly set up centres at the IISc, backed by student supporters, while RSS members have been seen by several others, conducting closed events on the campus.

A prominent spiritual foundation has established its roots there, using facilities to conduct yoga classes, which students were asked to pay for. “The major complaint is that these foundations are misusing institute facilities,” said a well-placed source, on condition of anonymity. “They are charging fees from the students and putting up posters to spread their message.” A group of students wrote to the administration, voicing their displeasure. An internal inquiry is reportedly underway to frame regulations that will stabilise the presence of these outside groups. “Objections were also raised against leftist-liberal group, Concern, but that is a student-run body” the source said.

During the Ugadi weekend, an RSS group conducted a closed event within the hostel premises, without any permission. “Students saw saffron flags inside the hall and one person went there to investigate, but weren’t allowed inside,” said Pritham (name changed), another student. “He tried to take a picture of what was happening, but there were strong objections from those at the event.” According to witnesses, pictures of RSS leaders were hung inside and all members present were in traditional RSS attire. “They were talking about how Hindus should unite and show their strength,” said Pritham. “When the student who tried to take a photograph was made to leave, he complained to the security and the group was immediately asked to leave the campus.” Those attending the event were reportedly seen taking the RSS oath.

IISc students protesting during PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the campus

“There are also gatherings in the gymkhana,” said a source. “Many students have been seen in proper RSS garb, lathis included, doing their drills. Exercise is good for you, but there is no need to flaunt political leanings in a central government institute. Today, it’s the RSS, tomorrow it will be someone else. We will be like any other university if this continues.”

Another incident took place when a group of students screened Ram ke Naam, a documentary film by Anand Patwardhan, exploring the controversy around the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, prior to its demolition. “We had taken permission for a screening and it was a full house as well, there were about 120 people present,” said one of the organisers. “The PRO of IISc was present, but a group of naysayers began protesting very loudly during the screening. I took a couple of them outside and told them their behaviour was unacceptable, but they wanted to know why other parties weren’t being shown in a bad light as well, by making references to the Sikh riots.”

Religious processions and playing bhajans on loudspeakers have also allegedly become commonplace on campus, much to the ire of the students. “We did raise objections to this, but nothing really came of it. The matter was not escalated,” said a former PhD fellow.

“There have always been groups with a right wing political agendas on the campus and the institute should provide space for them,” said Arjun (name changed), also a PhD fellow at IISc. “The problems arose when some individuals began developing links with powerful groups outside campus and tried to facilitate their reach inside as well. The trouble is that they have developed an intolerance for alternate viewpoints.”

Social media bashing and defaming naysayers has become a part of the daily routine for some of these students. Deccan Chronicle also received a backlash after publishing a story that talked about outside political involvement in the student council elections held last Monday.

Just another political game?

The preservation of scientific temper has become a much-talked about ideal in academic circles across the country, in the wake of a chain of events that have been perceived as pro-religious and anti-science. Researchers, on their part, have not been willing to take this lying down and groups of students in campuses across the country, IISc included, have taken it upon themselves to fight for their scientific principles. However, is this merely a political game being played out, pitting religion and science against one another, when in reality, they can go hand in hand?

“I don’t see religion and politics as contradicting scientific temper,” said Prof. Prajwal Shastri, an astrophysicist from the Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bengaluru. "The scientific method, which is such an important part of our lives, has given us a new way to look at the world. The technology that we rely on so much today is an outcome of the scientific method. That understanding seems to have gone away. There seems to be a disconnect – we as a civilisation embrace technology, but have forgotten the scientific method underlying it.”

The People Science Congress, which was organised at the Indian Institute of Science recently, is aimed at bringing people closer to science, establishing it as a solution to social issues and problems. "It is great that a popular body of scientists and science activists seeking democratisation of the benefit of science and nurturing scientific temper saw influential participation by IISc students," said Prof. Rajan Gurakkal, Centre for Contemporary Studies, IISc.

"The increasing participation of IISc youth is encouraging, since it can go a long way in helping effective inculcation of scientific temper with critical social insights, not only in people but among scientists themselves. There is a general lack of critical consciousness from which the country's scientific community suffers significantly," he added.

Prof. G.K. Karanth, renowned sociologist and former faculty member at ISEC, says the very notion of scientific temper in India is always ambivalent. "Science is something people do for a livelihood and religion is what they preach for their existence," he said. "For most of us, when it comes to our respective labs or our work per se, we tend to be very scientific. When it comes to our values and beliefs, on the other hand, religion continues to guide and determine our work.”