CBSE class XII results: Boys buck trend, outshine girls

The Pass percentage of boys stood at 95.51, while for girls it was 95.38%

Bengaluru: In a reversal of trend of sorts, boys have outshone girls in the CBSE class XII results that were announced on Monday. This year, Karnataka has fallen from second place to fourth in the Chennai region, under which the state falls.

Girls had this year too done better than boys in SSLC and II PUC final examinations, conducted by the state boards, and ICSE/ISC results. In CBSE, of the 9,059 students, who had appeared for the exams conducted in March-April, 8,647 have cleared the exam with an overall pass percentage of 95.45. The Pass percentage of boys stood at 95.51, while for girls it was 95.38%.

The first three places in the Chennai region have been taken by Puducherry, Goa and Tamil Nadu. None of the students from the state have featured in the top 10 ranks. In the science stream, Ashwin Ramesh from CMRNPS secured 97.2%, DPS South student Ujjwal Pasupulety scored 96.8% and Harini S. from Sindhi High School, Hebbal got 96.6%. Sindhi School also achieved cent percent result.

Kunal Singhania of DPS North (96.8% -- commerce), Sanna Alvira from the same school (96.4% -- humanities), Raj Manjunath Prabhu (DPS-North) 96.4% (Science), Shelley Kabra 96% (Commerce) and Sowmya Verma 92.6% (Humanities) are the other toppers from the city.

CBSE students access their results on their cellphone on Monday (Photo: DC)

Most of the schools in the city have recorded cent percent results in all the three streams – science, humanities and commerce. A CBSE officer told Deccan Chronicle that most of the city schools have done extremely well in the examinations. “Results are along expected lines,” he said.

Somya Verma, 93%, Delhi Public School (East)

“I don’t stress myself, you know. If you stress yourself, you lose marks,” remarked Somya Verma. “I just wanted to put my 100% in and I did put my 100% in! I worked harder than I usually do.” And it paid off for Somya. “My favourite subject is economics and I got a 93 in that. So right now, I want to pursue economics, but later, politics will be my future. Maybe an IAS officer’s position will come my way, but politics is what I want.” She made sure to express her gratitude as well: “I want to thank all my teachers who helped me in doing this.”

Ujjwal Pasupulety, 96.8%, Delhi Public School (South)

"I was pretty sure I would do well in my exams. It was one month of focussed, scheduled study and these are the fruits of my labour," said Ujjwal Pasupulety, an aspiring ethical hacker. "I love coding and I'd like to work in the security field. That was my project for school as well." Ujjval has just taken the JEE Advanced, which could land him a seat the prestigious Indian Institute of Technology. "I don't do too many extra-curricular activities," he admitted. "I'm a computer junkie. As soon as an idea takes seed in my head, I go straight to my computer!"

Ashwin Ramesh, 97.2%, CMR National Public School

"Most students focus on three or four things and mess up all of them. I decided I would dedicate myself to one task – my board exams," said Ashwin Ramesh, from CMRNPS, who has scored a whopping 97.2%. "I would wake up every day at 3 am to study – I did this for a whole year." Ashwin, who has written the JEE Advanced, wants to be an astronaut. "I love everything to do with space and the idea of being an astronaut happened quite gradually," he said. "There aren't too many opportunities for aerospace engineering in India, so I want to study mechanical engineering now and make the switch later."

Class X results on Wednesday

The CBSE will announce the Class X results of all regions on Wednesday. Results will be available on http://cbseresults.nic.in/. According to students, many schools in the city have already started the CBSE XI classes, based on the marks secured by the students in the preparatory examinations.

Chaos

For the first one hour, many students from the city could not access their results as the CBSE website kept crashing because of high traffic. The students were forced to go to alternative sites. “As everyone was curious to know their results, the website was a bit slow. By 2 pm all the students got their results,” said an officer.