Headmaster switches off TV, gets 100 per cent SSC result

The school’s pass percentage was only 89 per cent

Hyderabad: A government school headmaster’s efforts in convincing parents to remove cable TV connections for three months has worked wonders.

While most other schools struggled to achieve even 60 per cent results this year, a school in Pulkal village, in Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao’s home district Medak, achieved 100 per cent results inn SSC.

The district administration has decided to felicitate the headmaster, Mohd Zakir Hussain, who succeeded in convincing parents to remove cable TV connections.

Officials plan to extend the same policy to other government schools next year to achieve better SSC results.

Mr Hussain is also likely to be considered for the “Best Headmaster Award” to be presented on the first anniversary of TS Formation Day on June 2.

Mr Hussain said that during his interaction with students, he found that TVs at home were distracting them.

“Students in government schools come from poorer sections. They live in single-room houses and it is not possible for them to concentrate on studies when their parents or others watch TV. Moreover, this year’s SSC exams clashed with the cricket World Cup. I held a meeting of the school management committee comprising parents. I told them if they wanted their children to pass exams with good marks, they would have to cooperate with me by removing cable connections. They agreed and it really worked,” Mr Hussain said.

“Sixty-six students from our school appeared for the SSC exams. All of them cleared the exams with one student scoring 8.7 GPA. Three students got 8.5 and one got 8.3 GPA. Next year, my target is to see that majority score 10/10.”

Last year, the school’s pass percentage was only 89 per cent. Medak district education officer A. Rajeshwar Rao lauded Mr Hussain’s efforts. “He is an inspiration to all. We will promote this concept in all other schools this year,” Mr Rao said.