Manny Pacquiao slapped with law suits
Call it the fallout of the century
Los Angeles: Call it the fallout of the century. More disgruntled fight fans are going to court with their complaints, suing Filipino ring icon Manny Pacquiao and others for failing to disclose a shoulder injury prior to his “Fight of the Century” against Floyd Mayweather.
A class-action suit filed in US District Court in Illinois not only names Pacquiao and promoters Top Rank but also telecasters HBO and Showtime, who combined to produce the pay-per-view fight program that was sold in the United States for about $100.
The suit also names Mayweather, Mayweather Promotions and cable television providers AT&T, COMCAST and DirecTV, and accuses the defendants of deceptive practices in marketing and advertising the bout.
“Defendants, individually and collectively, deceptively and fraudulently promoted, produced and sold the fight as one between two healthy fighters. Expressly misrepresenting the health of Manny Pacquiao to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, all in an effort to maximize and collect pay-per-view revenue,” the lawsuit claims.
At least five such class-action suits have been filed across the United States, seeking millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of those who bought tickets, forked out pay per view fees or bet on Saturday’s fight in Las Vegas, which Mayweather won easily on points.
Pacquiao revealed afterwards that he had been held back by the shoulder complaint. It did not take long for the lawsuits to come flooding in. Two men in Nevada sued on Tuesday, saying the promotion violated the state’s Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
In a similar suit filed in California, plaintiff Howard B. Sirota cites former heavyweight world Champion Mike Tyson as calling the long-anticipated bout the “Dud of the Century.”
MAnny undergoes shoulder surgery.
Manny Pacquiao had surgery Wednesday on his injured right shoulder, coming through with flying colors according to doctor Neal ElAttrache. ElAttrache, of the Kerland Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles, said he couldn’t be more pleased with the results and fully expects Pacquiao to resume his boxing career, a Pacquiao spokesman said.
( Source : AFP )