1st convocation at Telangana TISS

Institute to move to new Mahbubnagar campus in 1 yr

Hyderabad: Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad, conducted its first convocation ceremony on Tuesday.

Magsaysay Award winning social activist Prof. Shantha Sinha was the chief guest of the event. S. Ramadorai, the chairman of the Governing Board of TISS, and Dr S. Parasuraman, director, TISS, were also present for the occasion.

As many as 120 students received their degrees in BA (Social Sciences), MA (Education) and MA (Public Policy and Governance).

Some M.Phil students also received their certificates. Talking to this newspaper, Dr Parasuraman revealed that the institute would shift to its new campus in Mahbubnagar in a year. After the shift, the number of courses offered will be increased to accommodate as many as 1,700 students.

He said that the campuses of TISS at Mahbubnagar, Tuljapur and Guwahati will be playing a major role in the future, as they will be having greater reach than the campus in Mumbai and will be attracting more students from different parts of the country.

The graduating students wore bright red, green and blue shawls for the occasion. As per a senior TISS faculty, the red shawl was worn by BA students to signify their closeness to the ground, as they have just started to grow in the field of social sciences.

Meanwhile, the green shawl was worn by post graduate students signifying the colour of trees that they have grown into; and the blue shawl was worn by the M.Phil students of the college who have touched the skies.