Telangana treads banned path

Summer classes being held for students of Classes I to V
Khammam: Conducting summer classes in primary schools for students of classes I to V, who are weak in academics, by Sarva Siksha Abhiyan is not being welcomed by many. Telangana education department is determined to provide education till Class V to every child to enable them read, write and do simple arithmetic.
The special classes programme, which has been designed for 30 days in summer, began on April 27 and it will end on May 31.
P. Padma, a parent, opined that teachers should try to improve the performance of students during regular class hours. “Denying summer holiday for children is not a good idea,” she said.
The SSA and the state government, who once opposed the corporate and private schools conducting summer classes, surprisingly, are treading the same path now. Patibandla Prasada Rao, a teacher working in Tallada mandal said, “Giving holidays for students in summer is a practice being followed since generations.”
Vidya volunteers who are being paid Rs 6,000 per month have been asked to conduct classes from 8 to 11 am in summer. The students of classes I to V were classified into A, B and C grades, basing on their academic performance. The vidya volunteers were asked to teach those falling in the ‘C’ grade in summer. Telugu, English and Maths workbooks were given to the schools.
G.V.L. Narasimha Rao, who runs a private school, wondered how the SSA can justify conducting summer classes to a section of students and how the state, which once conducted raids on schools for conducting summer classes, was allowing SSA to go ahead.