Lucknow: Former Uttar Pradesh minister and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leader Haji Yakub Qureshi has not only justified the attack on weekly satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris but has also said that he would reward the attackers if they came before him.
“Anyone who shows disrespect to the Pro-phet deserves death. This magazine had been repeatedly mocking our religion and what happened is completely justified. If the attackers come before me, I will give them a reward of Rs 51 crores,” he said on Thursday.
“Rasool ke aashiq unhe saza de dete hain (followers of Prophet punish them). Those who dare to insult the Prophet will meet similar fate and there is no need to initiate legal proceedings in this case,” Mr Qureshi explained.
He however, denied reports in which he was stated to have said that he will reward the attackers Rs 51 crore. “I have not made any such announcement regarding the attack in Paris,” Mr Qureshi claimed. It may be recalled that the BSP leader had made a similar statement in 2006 when he said that anyone who brought the head of the Danish cartoonist who made a caricature of the Prophet, would be given a cash reward of Rs 51 crores.
Mr Qureshi has changed several parties in the past one decade and is now with the BSP. He is known for his fanatical views and controversial statements. Meanwhile, additional director general of Uttar Pradesh police (law and order) Mukul Goel said on Thursday, “We are examining his statement and action can be initiated against him within the purview of law.”...