Students bring own chairs to libraries in Hyderabad

Rush at libraries fails to deter outstation students

Hyderabad: The last month has seen a mad rush at the libraries in the twin cities with candidates, who have been anticipating job notifications for the TS public services examination. Though the state has now decided to change the syllabus and the TSPSC job notifications may take some time, aspirants are still busy preparing for the exam.

The City Central Library at Chikkadpally, Osmania University library and other major libraries in the city are packed.

Such is the rush at the City Central Library that many students bring their own chairs. The students have either purchased chairs or have taken them on rent from local vendors. Most of the students who visit the library are from other districts.

“I share a room with four other friends and the environment is hardly conducive for studies. The only problem here is that the books are outdated. But because the place is peaceful, I get my own books and prepare here,” said V. Ravi from Karimnagar.

“If we have funds, we can plan an extension to this building. Right now, we are not able to meet the demand, neither in terms of books, nor in terms of space,” said a source at the library on condition of anonymity.

“Nearly 1,000 students visit the Chikkadpally library every day. There are several coaching centres nearby and students come to the library after the classes. Also, the motivation and career guidance speeches held in our auditorium attract a lot of students,” said additional in-charge secretary of the libraries A.V.N. Raju.

Among other things, there is a separate reading room for women, arrangements have been made on the ground floor for physically challenged students, and computers with Internet connections are available at a nominal price of Rs 5.

Also, since over a month, a ‘Rs 5 a meal’ counter has been started by the GHMC and the Hare Krishna foundation in the City Central Library premises to provide quality meals to the students. Reportedly, over 500 students have these meals every day.

“It saves a lot of time for me as I don’t need to go back to the hostel for lunch,” said Sushma K. from Warangal, who is staying at a girls’ hostel near Kacheguda.