Pakistan court suspends Lakhvi's detention, arrests him on charges of kidnapping

Just before he was to be released, Lakhvi was arrested on charges of kidnapping

Islamabad: Mumbai attack mastermind Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi was arrested on Tuesday for kidnapping a man six years ago, stalling his release a day after a Pakistani court suspended his detention under a public security order drawing India’s ire.

Just before he was to be released, Lakhvi was arrested on charges of kidnapping a man named Muhammad Anwer. In a FIR registered yesterday at a police station in Islamabad, Anwer said he was kidnapped by Lakhvi six years ago.

Lakhvi was granted bail on December 18 in the Mumbai attack case but was detained under the Maintenance of Public Order before his release. He challenged his detention under MPO in the Islamabad High Court which suspended the government order.

After being slapped with the charge of kidnapping, Lakhvi was taken out of the Adiala Jail Rawalpindi and presented before the judicial magistrate amid tight security at the police station. The magistrate remanded him in police custody for two days. He was later taken to an undisclosed location by the police. “Because of security concerns we cannot put him in Golra Sharif police station where the abduction case has been registered against Lakhvi yesterday,” an official of Pakistan's interior ministry told PTI.

Lakhvi's counsel Raja Rizwan Abbasi alleged that his client has been arrested in a “fake” case only to “please India.” “The fake abduction case against Lakhvi was registered after the Islamabad High Court suspended his detention to ensure his further detention,” he said. Abbasi said he would challenge the “fake FIR” in court.

Lakhvi was set to be freed from the Adaila Jail Rawalpindi this morning on the order of the Islamabad High Court after he submitted Rs 1 million surety bond, but just before that the jail superintendent received an order from the government regarding his arrest in the abduction case. The Islamabad High Court's suspension of Lakhvi's detention under MPO had outraged India which lodged its strong protest by summoning Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit.

India had conveyed its “strong concern” to Pakistan over the development, saying, “there seems to be no end in sight to Pakistan remaining a safe-haven for well-known terror groups.” Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh summoned Pakistan High Commissioner Basit in New Delhi and the Indian mission in Islamabad took up the issue with the Pakistan Foreign Office.

( Source : press trust of india )
Next Story