Andhra Pradesh, Telangana friends bell the CAT

IITians, who were roommates in Inter, secure 100 percentile

Hyderabad: Two friends from Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, who prepared for IIT-JEE together, were among the 16 students who scored 100 percentile in the Common Admission Test this year.

P. Anurag Reddy, hailing from Nalgonda and a student of IIT Bombay, and M. Maheedhar, hailing from Nandyal in Kurnool district and a student of IIT-Delhi, scored 100 percentile in the admission test to IIMs. Both were roommates in Chaitanya junior college in Vijayawada.

CAT results for this year were announced late on Saturday. Anurag Reddy said he hadn’t prepared much for the exam but his inherent knack of solving aptitude questions helped him clear the test.

“I was always good at Mathematics and also used to read a lot of newspaper articles. Whenever I came across something new, I read about it,” said Anurag, an electrical engineering student at IIT-Delhi.

Anurag had secured 97th rank in IIT-JEE in 2010. He said he would prefer joining IIM-Ahmedabad but still needed to think about it.

His Intermediate roommate M. Maheedhar, also scored 100 percentile in CAT. In a lighter vein, Maheedhar said he only came to know about Anurag also joining the 100 percentile club through the latter’s Facebook page.

Maheedhar had cracked JEE with 167th rank and had also opted for electrical engineering, but at IIT-Bombay.

But despite his top score, he said he didn’t aim for a seat in the best IIMs.

“I didn’t prepare for CAT. I was preparing for GRE and thought I would take CAT as well; the GRE coaching probably helped crack the exam,” Maheedhar said.

He may not join any of the IIMs as he has applied to universities in the US and wants to pursue MS there.

Incidentally, Maheedhar’s brother M. Sai Krishna Deepak was the JEE all-India 12th ranker in 2011.

CAT results this year were announced earlier than usual.

Ramnath Kanakadandi, national course director, TIME said,

“Double benefit for the students early relief and more time to prepare for the next phase. Congratulations to the IIM authorities and TCS.”