Related Stories

Study attributes infant deaths to malnutrition

DC CORRESPONDENT
Published Nov 25, 2014, 11:11 am IST
Updated Mar 30, 2019, 11:47 am IST
There is a close relationship between these deaths and malnutrition
As many as 12 infant deaths were reported in 2014. Of  this, 10  died of malnutrition. Representative image (Photo: DC)
 As many as 12 infant deaths were reported in 2014. Of this, 10 died of malnutrition. Representative image (Photo: DC)

THRISSUR: A new study has found that all the infant deaths in Attapadi are  caused by malnutrition and the pregnant women in the region are malnourished.

The mothers give  birth to underweight babies, many of whom are malnourished, and they are likely to die within a few days of birth,  according to the study conducted by the doctors of Thrissur Government Medical College Hospital.  

“As many as 12 infant deaths were reported in 2014. Of  this, 10  died of malnutrition.  

Two deaths happened because of the lack of folic acid vitamin. There is a close relationship between these deaths and malnutrition,”  Dr Nileena Koshy, additional professor, community medicine, Thrissur Medical College Hospital, said.

Earlier, the district medical authority had alleged that the infant deaths in Attapadi were caused by  the use of pesticides used in the vegetable farms in the region.

The new study has found that the iron tablets distributed by the health authority were not consumed by the pregnant women in Attapadi. According to Dr P.K. Venugopal, DMO, Palakkad, the health department was planning to give iron tablets to the adolescent girls too as a precaution.

The medical team  consisted  of Dr K.R. Radha, assistant professor, gynaecology, Dr Sheela, associate professor, paediatrics  and Dr Sajna, assistant professor, community medicine.

...
Location: Kerala