Doon School scouts for Tamil Nadu students

Headmaster Dr Peter McLaughlin said students from Tamil Nadu add huge value
Chennai: The world famous Doon School is now eyeing the southern states, especially Tamil Nadu, to increase its student intake.Speaking to Deccan Chronicle on Friday, Dr Peter McLaughlin, headmaster of the school, said that the number of students from Tamil Nadu increased from two a few years ago to 12 this year. “Our school receives about 30 to 40 applications from Tamil Nadu and about 60 from Andhra Pradesh every year. Our total strength is 520 with classes from 7 to 12, with more students from the north Indian states. We want to increase the number from South India, especially Tamil Nadu, as they add huge value to the school.”
The school had students from all socio-economic backgrounds, both children of coolies and billionaires. “We receive eight applications for one seat, that is how high our application rate is. We also award a full scholarship to deserving poor students to help them get a world class education,” Dr McLaughlin said. The school provides education in both International Baccalaureate and Indian Certificate of Secondary Education, leaving the choice open to students.
“Students in our school have to do social service for 20 hours every two months and this is to make them help society around them,” he added. Doon School, a boys-only independent boarding school in Dehradun, Uttarakhand, is India’s first public school modelled on British educational institutions.