Tirthahalli: No trace of poison in viscera, says Forensic Science Lab

Published Nov 21, 2014, 1:54 pm IST
Updated Mar 30, 2019, 12:46 pm IST
The girl had died on October 31 in a private hospital in Manipal

Bengaluru: The suspicious death of a 14-year-old girl in Tirthahalli town in Shivamogga continues to remain a mystery with the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) officials concluding that there was no trace of poisonous substances in the girl’s viscera.

As even the forensic tests have failed to establish that toxic material had caused the girl’s death, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), who are investigating the highly politicised case, have a tough job ahead as they have to find out - only through their investigation – what resulted in the girl’s death.


A source in the FSL confirmed that the result of the tests conducted on the viscera of the girl, to find out toxic substances was negative. “We had received the girl’s vital internal organs such as intestines, lever, kidney and blood samples for the examination. We have done a detailed examination of the organs to find out substances that would lead to the death of a person.

Even after several rounds of tests, no poison was detected. We are preparing a report to submit to the investigating agency and the report will mention that ‘presence of pesticides, drugs, metallic poison, anion, cation were not detected’. The report would be submitted by the end of this week,” the source said.


“It was not possible in the tests to trace toxic material as there was no adequate sample of toxic in her vital organs. This is because she had vomited more than 25 times during the medical treatment before she died,” the source added.

The CID sleuths, who are said to have not gathered any crucial leads into the death during their visit to the spot, would also consider sending the viscera to any Central Forensic Science Laboratories for advanced tests. “It is left to the investigating agency to consider reexamining the viscera at an advanced laboratory. It would have helped the police in their probe if the tests had revealed which poisonous material had led to the girl’s death,” the source said.


The girl had died on October 31 in a private hospital in Manipal and her father had accused three youths of kidnapping her and forcing her to consume poison.

Location: Karnataka