30 Osmania University contract assistant professors to be laid off

They expressed disappointment with the government
Hyderabad: More than 30 people, who had been hired in June this year as contract teaching staff at the Osmania University, and a few others who were hired as the non-teaching staff, are being laid off.
The 30 assistant professors on contract are perplexed as they were hired by the university after going through all the necessary procedures and interviews. They expressed disappointment with the government that has been making promises about regularising contract employees.
“After formation of the Telangana, the TRS government had issued a circular to all institutions saying that without permission from the government, one could not recruit anyone.
However, in OU, after June 2 (the day the state was formed), the university recruited 30 people for teaching and some more non-teaching staff. These 30 were hired as assistant professors (contract) and now the government is questioning their recruitment,” said a source.
Mild tension at Eflu:
Tension prevailed on the Eflu campus with high police presence as more than 300 students took out a rally from the English and Foreign Languages University to the Osmania University Arts College on Wednesday evening to protest against the way the Eflu administration has been handling the recent gangrape incident.
Students shouted slogans. They assembled for a public meeting asking the Eflu management to stop curbing freedom on the campus and instead work on enforcing gender sensitisation.