School shut, kids left in lurch

Parents have trouble shifting theirs children in the mid-year
Coimbatore: Around 70 students of an unregistered CBSE school at Saibaba Colony which was shut down by the state education department, are in a fix now.
Radcliffe school at Saibaba Colony, running classed up to class 7, was closed down on Monday, following complaints of lack of infrastructure. However, most students here are struggling to get admission in other schools in the middle of the academic year.
For parents, it is all the more agonising as most reputed schools demand high capitation fees. Worse still, a few schools are demanding signed contracts from the parents that their children will continue in their school for a minimum of three years.
“It is not an easy task to find admission for our wards in reputed schools at this time of the year. All the parents are running from pillar to post, hunting for suitable schools to admit their children,” said Mr A. Ramasamy, whose daughter was studying class 1 at the school.
Over the last few days, Mr Ramasamy, who runs a workshop, has been taking time off his demanding work schedule to scout for a better school for his daughter. “I have been desperately knocking at the doors of several schools seeking admission. Almost all reputed schools where we wished to place our children, have denied admission citing lack of vacancies. Only schools that are far-off and around 15 km from our neighbourhood have openings. But transportation will be a major issue for the children,” he said.
Scores of parents meet up at the closed Radcliffe school every day to share their difficulties.
A parent of an LKG student said she was tired of hunting for a new school for her child. “A school in Saravanampatti is ready to admit my child, but demands a capitation fee during the start of the next academic year. Another school in Idigarai demands Rs 40,000 for admission right now. Yet another school in Thudiyalur wants us to sign a written contract to let my child continue in the same school for the next three years,” she lamented.
“We were unaware that Radcliffe was unrecognised while admitting our children,” said Mr R. Shanker, whose child was studying UKG there.
Chief education officer A. Gnana Gowri told DC parents who could not find schools for their wards, could approach the education department. “We will make arrangements for the students to get enrolled in some school,” she said.