High Court stays M-tech admissions

Students aspiring to pursue M.Tech have lost more than 3 months of precious time
Visakhapatnam: Thousands of students from the two states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana aspiring to pursue M.Tech in various engineering streams have lost more than three months of precious time, thanks to an ongoing case in the High Court by some private engineering colleges.
The allotment letter to students who cleared PGECET(Post Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test) and GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) for taking admissions into various universities and affiliated colleges has been withheld in both states due to the case.
Prof P.S. Avadhani, in- charge principal of Andhra University College of Engineering, said, “M.Tech classes should have started by Aug 1 as per AICTE norms. As admissions were delayed by more than three months.
When students in other states are finishing their M.Tech, students of AP and Telangana would still be pursuing PG. Students might lose out on job opportunities as government organisations usually conduct selection process at a time that coincides with concluding months of course duration of most of the universities in the country. Students from the two states will be studying while others will be appearing job interviews.”
Another issue that might arise due to the delay in admissions is that of scholarships. As course commencement dates are almost the same across the country, the list of students deserving central government scholarships like that AICTE, UGC and RGMF are received by concerned authorities from all colleges in bulk and related file work is conducted in one go.
Due to late schedule, their files will be sent separately which would slow down the process resulting in students not getting scholarship for months together. Such an incident had happened a few years back in AU for the same reason.
Andhra University, JNTU-Kakinada, JNTU-Anantapur, Sri Venkateswara University-Tirupati, Acharya Nagarjuna University-Guntur, JNTU-Hyderabad and Kaktiya University-Warangal are the state government universities which offer M.Tech courses along with their affiliated engineering colleges. There are more than 300 M.Tech seats in 18 streams of engineering waiting to be filled in Andhra University alone.