Chennai: A fire broke out at a restaurant at Pondy Bazaar in T. Nagar on Saturday morning, leaving property damaged. There was no report of injury to any person in the incident, the police said. Around 11 am, the staff at Geeta Café in Pondy Bazaar noticed thick smoke emanating from the first floor which houses the party hall and informed fire control services.
Three fire tenders from T. Nagar and Teynampet were pressed into service and the flames were put out in less than half-an-hour, according to fire service personnel.
Investigations revealed that the staff had switched on the air-conditioner for a party to be hosted there in an hour. “Water leaking from the AC unit came in touch with the junction box, resulting in a short circuit, which triggered the fire,” Teynampet fire officer G. Ramalingam said.Since the hall had a false ceiling and other decorative items, fire spread easily and left three window ACs, chairs and other properties damaged.
In another minor incident, scrap materials in a private cardboard manufacturing unit in Perungudi were gutted in a late night fire....