Skill development better than degrees, says PM Narendra Modi on Teachers Day

World needs good teachers, PM Modi addresses students across the nation

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday addressed school children on the occasion of Teachers' Day from Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi. The students formed the majority of audience of 1,000 people.

Here are the highlights:

• The future lies in the hands of these students. I am glad that I got this opportunity, says PM Narendra Modi
  • Dr. S Radhakrishnan has started an excellent trend. He never celebrated his birthday, he celebrated it as teachers day
  • Why many people don't want to become teachers, we must think over it; the world needs good teachers
  • We need to highlight the importance of a teacher in society
  • Can’t we think of exporting good teachers? Why can't our children think of becoming good teachers?
  • Teachers are children's heroes. All students try to become like their teachers
  • Some children even dress up like their teachers, this enthusiasm needs to be promoted
  • There shouldn't be any school in the country that doesn't have any toilet facilities for girls
  • A Japanese teacher told me that students and teachers in his school clean toilets
  • We want to make nation-building a people's movement
  • I am seeking help from every school. Why can't we replicate Japan's model where teachers-students work together
  • Teachers Day is slowly losing its significance. Teachers used to be role models for students
  • I am sure all the students have a lot of dreams. If you have the will to succeed, you will
  • As a student you must have a lot of dreams. I believe that if one perseveres then no situations are tough to deal with
  • Importance of technology is increasing, we must not deprive our children of technology, if we do that then it's a social crime
  • Students should focus more on extra curricular activities and outdoor games than just television, course books
  • It is easy to find information on Google guru but that is not equal to gaining knowledge
  • Modi concludes his address by wishing all the teachers a very happy teachers day
  • No difference being Chief Minister and Prime Minister now
  • There are some things that should be done without getting anything in return
  • Student- As a child did you ever think of becoming PM? Modi says no, I was from ordinary family, never even contested for class monitor post
  • My responsibilities have increased, and I have to be conscious with my words
  • Student: What will you gain by talking to us? Modi says everything is not done for gain.
  • I am a taskmaster, do a lot of work myself and also get work done from others. If you will work for 12 hours, I will work for 13 hrs
  • Student- How can I become the Prime Minister of India? Modi says prepare for 2024 elections. In a democracy anyone who wins the trust of public can become PM
  • I visited a primary school in Japan, there is almost no teaching there but 100% learning
  • If I were a teacher, I wouldn't discriminate. All students have some qualities and a teacher should concentrate on every student
  • Education of women is very important. If one girl is educated, she educates two families
  • Student- How can we contribute in development of nation?
    Modi- You all should become good students, that will be the best contribution
  • Serving the nation does not only mean joining Army or politics. Doing small things is a big service to the nation too
  • Politics should not be seen as a profession, it should be seen as a service
  • World is facing an energy crisis. We must save electricity and not just electricity, we must save water as well
  • A girl child must get education facilities close to her home because quality of education is very important
  • Skill development better than degrees

Watch: PM Narendra Modi interacts with school children on Teacher's Day

un-Supported Media

A multi-platinum controversy had erupted over whether schools have been told that it's mandatory for them to keep students back to watch the speech. Education Minister Smriti Irani says it's not an order, but a series of notices suggest that schools have been asked to provide details of how many students were made to watch the PM's address - seen by many as an unsubtle indication of the government's intent.

Some Opposition parties, including Congress, Left and AAP, attacked the government for making students a “captive audience”. Some state government, like Jammu and Kashmir and West Bengal, have refused to follow the Centre’s directive, and plan their own Teachers’ Day programmes. Some CMs called the move “dictatorial”.