Kerala students ask compensation for KMML gas leak victims

Also want gas leak alert facility installed
KOLLAM: Nearly 1000 students, including the gas leak victims from various schools near the KMML, staged protests in front of the factory at Chavara here on Monday. The students demanded compensation and implementation of gas leak alert facility as a precaution against such accidents. The protest was called off after the District Collector promised to address their issues. Meanwhile, technical experts from Chennai commenced investigations at the plant.
The students from Lourdes Matha School, Ramankulangara Govt. HSS, Chittoor UPS, Govt. Boys HSS and Govt. Girls HSS, Chavara, took part in the protest. The students raised demands including compensation for the affected, medical aid for continuing treatment, health insurance for all students studying in the schools near the plant, and proper drinking water facilities. The students also demanded technologically assisted disaster warning systems to be implemented in the schools which can alert them in case of accidents like gas leaks.
The meeting was led by the District Collector who promised the protesters immediate action on medical aid. The headmasters of schools have been assigned to give authorization to KMML for sanctioning aid for treatment to students. The Collector also directed the government to take necessary steps to make the Public Liability Insurance by the KMML beneficial to the public.