Porn addiction on rise among students

over 3000 CDs, hard disks and memory cards carrying pornorgraphic movies

Kozhikode: Until now it was thought that drug abuse was the major concern among school children in the state , but it appears there is another menace stalking them too. Pornographic movies easily available on CDs sold by vendors targeting this new audience, has made many of the school children addicted to watching them, and teachers reportedly encounter several watching them on a daily basis. Even the girls, it appears, are not shy of watching the movies.

Only recently, over 3000 CDs , hard disks and memory cards carrying pornorgraphic movies, were seized from vendors in Koyilandy, Kallayi and other areas in raids conducted in various parts of the district. And on Saturday, a vendor, Abdul Salam, was arrested near Kallayi for stocking and selling pornorgraphic videos and many pirated CDs. According to the police his main clients were school children.

An NRI, Salam has been in the business of selling porn on CDs to school students for the last two years, it says. “On interrogation, he admitted to having sold porn on CDs to students,” said a police officer of the Panniyankara police station.

The Koyilandy police too has seized pornorgraphic CDs from three shops, which have been regularly supplying them to school children.

A faculty of the Koyilandy Government Boys Higher Secondary School, Murali Prasad, says sudden inspections in schools have revealed that students are increasingly viewing pornorgraphic videos.

“We were shocked to see some of these videos with even primary class students and some girls too. We seized many pen drives with such content,” he revealed.

City psychiatrist, Dr Mohanan CP, says recent studies have found an increase in children viewing pornorgraphic films. "Once these children are addicted to these videos during their sexually evolving years, they will have a tendency to develop an addiction for them, which could finally lead to cybercrime and rapes,” he warns.