Massive corporation drive in dengue risk areas

The Coimbatore corporation has stepped up its drive against dengue
Coimbatore:The Coimbatore corporation has stepped up its drive against dengue. High risk areas have been mapped and special teams deployed to carry out mosquito control measures. Kavundampalayam and Kurichi have been indentified as places with high larval indicies and a mass campaign with the participation of people, school students, sanitary inspectors, mazdoors of the zone, sanitary workers, self help groups and councillors, was carried out.
In Goundampalayam, school students dressed as mosquitoes, angels, doctors and policemen to create awareness. The corporation also carried out awareness programmes for schools and college students through PowerPoint presentations.
Mass campaigns have been conducted in the Ganapathy and Kurichi areas. By staging skits, students asked people to get rid of any unused containers that could hold stagnant water and breed mosquitoes. Stored water should be shut air tight and the containers washed with bleaching water once a week, the students pointed out. People should also avoid storing water for a long duration of time, they said.
Involvement of school students to create awareness and to demonstrate breeding places to people has yielded good results and the corporation has assigned more school and college students to create awareness to prevent mosquito breeding, sources in the corporation said.