Israeli shelling kills 50 Palestinians as Gaza truce collapses

Palestinian death toll has gone up to1,509, mostly civilians

Gaza/Jerusalem: Massive Israeli shelling killed at least 50 people in the Hamas-ruled Gaza following the collapse of a 72-hour ceasefire shortly after it began on Friday, while two of its soldiers were killed and another was believed to have been abducted by Palestinian militant groups.

Read: Deadly shelling only hours into three-day Gaza truce

The humanitarian ceasefire - brokered by the US and the UN to end more than three weeks of fighting between Israel and Palestinian militant groups in the Gaza Strip - collapsed just two hours after it began on Friday morning.

Read: Brokering a truce in Gaza no easy deal for U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry

At least 50 people were killed and more than 200 injured in massive Israeli artillery shelling in the southern Rafah since this morning, taking the Palestinian death toll to1,509, mostly civilians, Palestinian health ministry said.

The attacks have injured more than 7,000 Palestinians.

Palestinians search for bodies at the rubble of the destroyed house for the Bayoumi family in the Nusseirat refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip on Friday (Photo: AP)

The 1,509 Palestinian toll in the ongoing Israeli assault on Gaza surpassed that of Operation Cast Lead in 2008-2009 as the conflict entered its 25th day today.

According to the Palestinian Center for Human Rights, 1,417 Palestinians were killed during Operation Cast Lead, which was the longest conflict between the two sides lasting 22 days, before the current fighting began.

Meanwhile, Israeli army said two of its soldiers were killed and a third one may have been abducted by militants in the southern Gaza Strip on Friday, raising the death count to 63 soldiers, including two Indian-origin, as compared to 10 in 2008-09. Nearly 400 soldiers have been injured.

Three Israeli civilians and a Thai national also died in rocket and mortar attacks.

"Initial indications suggest that a soldier has been abducted by terrorists in an incident where terrorists breached the ceasefire," Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) spokesman Lt Col Peter Lerner told reporters.

Hamas, which rules the narrow coastal strip, neither confirmed nor denied the abduction of the Israeli soldier. But it said Israel's announcement of the abduction was simply an excuse to "justify Israel's retreat from the truce."

Palestinian children wounded in Israeli shelling are treated in a hospital in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip, Friday (Photo: AP)

Israel and Hamas have blamed each other for the collapse of the fragile ceasefire. It was not immediately clear as to which side broke the truce amid claims and counter-claims. "Once again, Hamas and the terror organizations in Gaza have blatantly broken the cease-fire to which they committed, this time before the American Secretary of State and the UN Secretary General," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said in a statement.

On Friday morning, two Code Red sirens were heard in Eshkol Regional Council. Two rockets landed in an open area, Israel's Channel 10 reported.

The announcement of the truce was made in a statement released in New Delhi during US Secretary of State John Kerry's visit.

Watch: Israel siege on Gaza persists despite truce

( Source : PTI )
Next Story