Cusat CELOS in doldrums

Centre of excellence waiting for UGC funds

Kochi: With not enough funds coming its way for research and only a professor at its disposal, the Centre of Excellence in Lasers and Optoelectronic Sciences (CELOS) at the Cochin University of Science and Technology (Cusat) is waiting for a fresh infusion of life from the University Grants Commission (UGC).

Once the only centre of excellence recognized by the UGC in the state, CELOS has lost its pre-eminence allegedly due to the ineptitude of the Cusat authorities and the hostile attitude of a committee which visited it for sanctioning of funds. When CELOS lost steam it was merged with the International School of Photonics (ISP).

“I am really sad at the current state of CELOS where research is understood to be at a standstill. As the founder director of the institution, I believe it has enormous potential to be a world class institution. In fact, the authorities should urgently take steps to get UGC funding to renew the institution and ignite cutting edge research in lasers there,” says Dr C P Girijavallabhan, a photonics scientist, who has retired from Cusat.

Currently, Dr P Radhakrishnan is the only professor at CELOS and its director, Dr Sheenu Thomas , is on deputation from the Pulincunnu Engineering College. Another professor at the centre, Dr Kailasanathan, is on deputation to the San Antonio University, Texas and is expected back next month.

The UGC was willing to infuse seven crore into CELOS , but the inspection team that came in 2012 did not give a favourable report as it believed it had been merged with ISP. The Syndicate has now decided to revive CELOS and conveyed the decision to the UGC. The authorities are now hoping for a favourable response and also funds.

“The ball is now in the UGC’s court,” said a senior professor.