Adimaly school fails to get plus two batch

The school has a fine library and lies on five acres

Kottayam: The hopes of students, teachers and parents of the Govt High School, Adimaly, have been dashed yet again as the school failed to get a plus-two batch this time though it was promised one.

Out of the 120 students who appeared for the SSLC examination last year, 119 passed out meritoriously. Out of this, only 28 are now in plus-two, which is a pointer to the sad plight of the rest of the students who have been denied the opportunity for higher education.

The rare feature of the institution is that this is one Government school where a large number of tribal students are studying.

Among the 671 students in the school, 344 belong to the tribal community. Two hundred and eighty seven students belong to the OBC and OEC categories. Only around 5 per cent belong to the general category.

Says T.N.Manilal, a primary school teacher who went to Thiruvannathapuram with a delegation, calling for the allotment of a plus-two batch. Education Minister P.K. Abdu Rabb and Water Resources Minister P.J. Joseph promised a plus-one batch for the school.

“Most of the students are financially weak. Many tribal students study here as there’s a hostel for them near the school. A plus-two batch would have helped so many of them”, said the teacher.

There are students from eight panchayats near Adimaly including the tribal village of Edamalakudy.

The students include those who belong to the Muthuvan, Mannan, Oorala, and Hill Pulaya tribal communities. The school has a fine library and lies on five acres.